The Research Centre and Department of Economics is one of the largest and oldest major departments in Lady Doak College. It is the only department that offers undergraduate education in both the English and Tamil medium of instruction. Students who opt to study the B.A. (Economics) curriculum in Tamil are supported by a stipend given by the State Government. Having sprouted as an undergraduate department in 1951, it continues to grow and has crossed many milestones from being a postgraduate department to becoming a full-fledged Research Centre.
The Department of Economics offers innovative courses with research and extension activities to accommodate the changing needs of society. These courses are framed to facilitate a deeper understanding of economic issues and to motivate students to take up research in Economics. The variety of areas and issues covered through maiden research attempts by its students is considerable.
A dedicated team of faculty, rich in research experience, serves the Department well.
To emerge as a learning centre that imparts liberal education in Economics bringing together human, financial and technological resources, in shaping minds for the betterment of society.
Objectives of the Department
- to appreciate the principles of Economics and apply them in day-to-day life situations
- to equip the students with quantitative skills to analyse problems with empirical evidence
- to instill an awareness about the national and international economic scenario
- to develop analytical thinking skills in the study of socio-economic issues and to facilitate its research
- to provide employability skills through skill-oriented and application-oriented courses and through in-service training
- to equip the students to absorb socially desirable values through innovative teaching and outreach programmes
- +91-452-2524575 Extn, 211