About the Bioinformatics Centre:
- Established in Nov, 2006 at LDC
- Act as bioinformatics hub for the teachers and UG, PG, M.Phil and PhD students of various departments and nearby colleges and research institutes.
- 41 computers (Under DBT-BIF: 26) with one high end server, one medium end server, fax machine, photocopier and printers along with scanner.
- Available software packages: GCG Wisconsin package, Discovery studio 2.0, Geneious Pro Ver 3.5.6, SPSS tables 16.0, Schrodinger 2011.
- Internet facility at a speed of 2Mbps leased line connectivity.
Major Activities of the Centre:
- Organized three seminars and seven workshops with hands on training
- 442 participants of college students, college teachers, school teachers, research scholars and scientists were benefitted.
- 12 students were availed studentship and traineeship, of these two students from Banasthali University, Rajasthan.
- Facilitated to complete two projects of B.Tech students of Karunya Univeristy, Coimbatore.
- B.Tech students from Department of Biotechnology, Kalasalingam University underwent In-house training in the Bioinformatics centre, Lady Doak College, Madurai
- Used for Bioinformatics teaching and training preparation of seminars and assignment and project work.
- Facilitated to promote research among the students and faculty from various outside and inside departments (Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Biotechnology and ICMR institute).
- Kept open every day from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm approximately 60 students and teachers are using this facility.
- Developed database on rural women’s traditional knowledge on indigenous medicinal plants used for common ailments (Yet to be validated).
Major Quantifiable Achievement (in the field of bioinformatics only):
- Workshops organized : 8
- Seminars conducted: 3
- Students trained: 12 (studentship & traineeship)
- Bioinformatics Projects completed: PhD - 2; PG Diploma - 31; M.Phil - 13; PG -12; UG - 14; Miniproject – 4.
Research activities at BIF centre
- Purification and Crystallization of Parasporin protein B.thuringiensis LDC 391.
- Targeted drug delivery towards cancer cells and imaging using nanomaterials.
- Development of network modeling in Dengue virus host interactions.
- Development of bioinformatics software tool for analyzing protein and nucleotide sequences using PERL scripts.
- Development of an algorithm for the prediction of microRNA.
Infrastructure facilities in the Bioinformatics Centre
a. Computer & Communication facility.
- 1 High-end server- IBM 3.0 GHz Intel Xeon/Itanium/AMD Opetron Used for Scientific software & databases.
- 1 Medium-end server – IBM 3.0 GHz Pentium IV/Xeon Processor Used for web & E-mail services.
- 10 IBM PCs with Pentium IV Processor with web camera
- 15 Lenovo with Intel Core2Duo Processor
- 1 Lenovo Laptop
- 1 HP Pavillion Laptop 3005
- 1 Overhead projector – Photo phone.
- 1 Workio 1520 Panasonic photocopier with printer and Scanner
- 1 HP color Laserjet 3600 Printer
- 1 fax machine with Phone connection.
- Server Rack Model 42u/1000d & Accessories.
- 1 Tripod Screen 60 * 60”
- 1 White board (5*4 sq.feet)
- 1 Stand (Umbrella stand)
- 1 16-port Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch
- 1 Sony Cybershot Camera DSC H50
- Internet Facility at a speed of 2Mbps Leased line Connectivity.
- PROJECTOR – 1 Hitachi multimedia projector with wall mount facility is available for teaching program, all classrooms are provided with an OHP Projector which enhances the teaching process and learning effectively.
b. Scientific Software packages.
- GCG Wisconsin package
- Discovery Studio 2.0
- Geneious Pro Ver.3.5.6
- AMBER Packages
- SPSS tables.
- Schrodinger 2011
c. Software packages available.
- MS office 2003
- MS office Ent 2007
- Dot net 2005
- Norton Antivirus Package.
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2011.
- Windows Ent server 2003 AE
- Windows 2003 Server CAL
- Windows server Media kit
- SQL Server 2005 Olp NL AE
- SQL server CAL
- ISA server Ent Edtn 2005 English OLP NL AE 1 Processor License
- Redhat Ent ES 4.0 STD Edition
Details about staff members working in the centre.
Period of working
Nov 2005 to till date
Ms. T. MownaSundari
July 2013 to till date
Name of the Co-ordinator : Dr. R. Shenbagarathai
Postal Address : DBT – BIF Coordinator,
Department of Biotechnology,
Lady Doak College,
Madurai - 625 002.
Phone Number : 091 - 452 - 2535575
Fax No. : 091 - 452 – 2535575
Email : email@example.com
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org